Hey Curlies. Thanks for stopping by. I truly appreciate it.
Spring has arrived and everybody’s cabin fever is quite apparent. I’m ready to get out in the world and hang with my Curl Friends. Are you? I’m really excited about all of the natural hair events and meet ups going on in the Midwest, specifically where I am in da dirty mitten (Michigan). There are so many events that I want to attend that I’m going to need a sponsor for this blog (Seriously). Here are a few that are going on around Grand Rapids, MI.
- April 16 from 12 PM – 5 PM: The Dream Big Fair at the Kentwood Activities Center located at 355 48th Street SE, Kentwood MI. The Dream Big Sister Circle is putting on this event. I didn’t attend last year but I saw pictures and it looks like it was dope. I can’t wait to connect with the Curl Friends. I know they’re going to be fly as ever and those curls are going to be whipped! There will be a lot of vendors too. On the food tip, there will be Nic Nac’s Tasty Treats, Daddy Pete’s BBQ, and Mareda’s Catering. Sounds delish, right? I’m looking forward to getting some new earrings from Rock Candy Earrings By Della Marie and seeing what Traci Lynn Fashion Jewelry and New Era Jewelry is all about. It also looks like this will be a good place to network if you’re interested in starting or expanding a business. I Handle Business, Infinite Possibilities, Tonic Dreams, LLC, Uplifting Financial Services, Grand Rapids Area Black Businesses, and the National Professional Men’s & Women’s Network will be in the house. I also want to stop by Aloe Care Cosmetics and Bare All Clothing to get my fashion fix. There are going to be so many other vendors that you don’t want to miss it. I won’t even mention the live DJ, Coach purse raffle, and cash prizes. I’ll just see you there.
- April 30 from 3:30 – 5:00 PM: Naturals Day Out: Long Road Distillery Tour and Tasting, 537 Leonard Ave. NW, Grand Rapids, MI. The talented ladies from Beauty of Tziyon and Natural Hair GR organized this exciting event. Now Grand Rapids may be Beer City USA but this distillery is so much more than that. I visited the website and was ecstatic when I saw the selection of “spirits”. There’s whiskey, vodka, gin, and more. There are also appetizers, soups, and sandwiches that sound interesting. I’ll definitely write about it. I can’t wait to see the distillery process. I’m sure the pictures on the web don’t do the place justice. Seeing all of those curlie, kinky, coily, braided, loc’d and twisted Queens in that place is going to be fabulous. Don’t forget to bring your designated drivers ladies.
- May 21 from 10 AM – 4 PM: Naturals Day Out: Plant Sale, 600 Cass Ave. SE, Grand Rapids, MI. This is another Beauty of Tziyon event. I don’t have many details about this meetup but I could use a few plants in my life. I’ll definitely have to stop by.
- May 21 from 5:00 – 8:30 PM: International Natural Hair Meetup, the Oak Room in the Citadal (91 Hinkley Street) in Benton Harbor, MI. Yes, that’s right. I said Benton Harbor, MI. Those natural divas over there at Serenity’s Hair are making big things happen so keep an eye on them. This is one of only 50 meetups taking place in the US but other naturals will meetup on the same day all around the world. Is it possible that we can reach a place of peace and unity through our hair? Well, there are some well-known curlie girl organizations sponsoring this event and they definitely think so. I’m talking about the Made Beautiful, official Team Natural, Sisters With Beauty, and Koils By Nature. This is a great way to meetup with other naturals from around the way, get the scoop on new and trending product lines, network with bloggers and vloggers, and I can only imagine the natural hair tees and jewelry that will be there. See you in Benton Harbor. I can’t think of a better reason to go there.
- June 10 from 4 PM – 9 PM: Beauty of Tziyon & Natural Hair GR presents “Spring is in the Hair”2nd Annual Hair Show & Expo in downtown Grand Rapids. Yes, honey. We are taking over Commerce Ave (between Weston and Oakes). This is a block-party style event that is definitely needed after this long winter. I know the naturalistas hair will be on point with a rainbow of summer colors. Based on the posts I’ve been seeing on Facebook and Instagram, we can expect more than the traditional reds, oranges, and blonds. Bold and bright colors will be in full effect this season. The pictures on the event page are proof that the first show was a huge success. I expect this years to be even more spectacular. I’m so geeked invited my Curl Friends from my natural group, Natural Kinks in the Creek, and a few of them are coming. I would love to interview the creators of Beauty of Tziyon & Natural Hair Gr, Marley Ariyahu and Johannah Jelks in the near future. They are working hard to put Grand Rapids natural hair community on the map, and it’s working. Much love ladies.
- June 12 from 6 PM – 10 PM: West Michigan’s Spring Fashion and Hair Show at Crossroads Conference Center located at 6569 Clay Ave SW in Grand Rapids, MI. Ricki Seymour, Iconic Styles by Geminii, and Angel Rae were able to get Shekinah Jo (from VH1’s ‘Tiny and Shekinah Weave Trip’ and ‘The TI and Tiny show’) to host this event. It should be an exciting fashion-filled night with tons of hairspiration for us natural hair enthusiasts. This will be my first time at the Conference Center too. I’m excited to see it along with the added flair that my beautiful people will add to it. I can’t wait!
- July 16 & 17: Natural Hair Fest Chicago will take place at the Palmer House Hilton Hotel located at 17 E Monroe St in Chi-town. I seriously LOVE Chicago. I would love to go to this event. All of the energy and will be dynamic. I’d even say epic. Why? Because I love the theme: CONSCIOUSNESS. That’s what it’s all about, right? We return to our natural roots once we become conscious of our greatness, our intelligence, our beauty, our history, and our legacy. It’s all about us. The event page states, “This event specifically caters towards Naturals (Consumers), Natural Hair Care Professionals and Freelancers, Students interested in nurturing careers in a growing Natural Hair Care Industry, and individuals, who desire to adopt a Natural way of life.” I don’t know if you noticed, but natural hair is one the hottest things around and that means an exponential number of opportunities for business-minded people are out there. If you want to learn how to care for your hair, what products are out, how to make hair-care and clothing products, how to blog or vlog, how to become a hair or fashion model, or find out what other ventures are out there (manufacturing, production, and distribution should be familiar terms), you may want to attend. If you have experienced hair loss, alopecia, heat damage, low self-esteem or consider your natural hair ugly, you NEED to be here. After this PSA, I think I really have to make it happen. I need all of the consciousness I can get.
- August 20 at 3 PM: Detroit’s Natural Hair Empowerment March on Kirby and 3rd Ave. in Detroit, MI. I can just picture all of the afros, TWAs, locs, braids, twists walking down the street flashing glamorous smiles. Empowerment is a beautiful necessity and I know the Curlies in da D are going to bring it. I never met a sistah from da D whose hair wasn’t laid so a parade to show off our tresses is going to be amazing. This is a festival so you know there will be some superb food, banging music and dope clothes. It’s going to be a great way to end the summer.
So, uh… What do you and your Curl Friends have going on this spring and summer? I wanna know.